P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

Money from bank deceased sister need form of

Customer Question

Customer: money from bank for my deceased sister need form for letters of testamentary/letters of administration
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: bank will not relief the money for she have been dead for two years and I paid all the expense for her to be buried the bank closed her account . because I waited to long and she do have any other estated.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you tell me

1 What state is this in?

2. How much money is in the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
houston texas 20,000.00
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

thank you

One more please...is there a will?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
houston texas the bank account have 20,000.00
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Is there a will? Did she leave a will?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no will only living relative her brother
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

THank you
In that case, this is relatively easy. TX allows for a "small estate affidavit"...this is a process that allows you to accomplish most of what you need for probate without the need to hire an attorney (and complete a formal probate) IF the estate is valued at less than $50K

It will not provide letters of administration. HOWEVER, it is, in most cases, all you need to access a bank account.

The law that applies can be seen here

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/ES/htm/ES.205.htm

You head to the county court and talk to the clerk of the court. They will provide youthe forms. Bring a copy of the death certificate and you can complete the form which will allow you to access the account

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Follow up