How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Crowned property with my ex wife. She died. The property

Customer Question

Crowned property with my ex wife. She died. The property burned. I want my half of the insurance money. Her " estate"is fighting me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the insurance settlement checks made of to Me and The EstateOf......
Estate is uncooperative. I just want to split the $ and move on.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The estate will have to sign off on it in order to cash the check but if you are due have of it, the estate will have no say in you getting a portion of it unless the entire property went to her. If it was owned jointly with a right of survivorship (meaning it would pass outside of probate to you) then you would take the entire check but the executor would still have to sign off on it. If it was not owned jointly then you would be due 50% of the proceeds as you owned 50% of the property. The estate has no say in this and you should hire an attorney if they will try to make an issue of it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?