Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My aunt had a revocable trust prepared in 2008. Because her

Customer Question

My aunt had a revocable trust prepared in 2008. Because her son and family had not seen her in 17 years she changed her will to leave her assets left to me as I cared for her for the last 2 years. She passed in April 2015. Which document is valid. Am I in fact the inheritor of her assets? Thank You
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she created a will recently, the will that was created after the trust would be the valid document. The testamentary document with the newest date on it is deemed to supersede any earlier testamentary documents, so if she created a will after the revocable trust and the will specified you were the heir, then your attorney is correct in working to put the assets in your name.