How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has dementia and my sister has power of attorney.

Customer Question

My mother has dementia and my sister has power of attorney. She is in an assisted living facility I live in a different state.My sister has taken the phone out of my mother's room leaving me incapable of speaking to her. What rights do I have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, without a court order a child doesn't have any specific rights as to their parents. However, I have seen this issue raised with courts on numerous occasions, usually through some type of guardianship action, and the courts have always allowed contact between the children and the parents so long as there are no other issues (such as abuse in the past).

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.