How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2564
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exhusband died and i have been paying the mortgage

Customer Question

My exhusband died and i have been paying the mortgage myself. My name is ***** ***** the loan only on the deed. Should his adult children be contributing to the mortgage since they are his heirs. He did not have a will
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.

The loan is a debt of his estate. The security interest is his share of the property. If the property will be going to you, then there would be no reason why his children would be responsible for the loan. If his share is going to them, then they should contribute. The loan should be transferred into the name of the new owner(s) of the property or refinanced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My deceased ex husband share of the house did go to our 2 adult children. I was told that they should be paying a third of or some portion of the mortgage. I've been paying it all myself. One of our adult children is 22. Can I collect 4 years of mortgage payments from her and request that she start making a portion of the mortgage payment going forward now
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.

You would pay half. They would pay half. You can collect and demand payment.

Related Estate Law Questions