Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

My exhusband died and i have been paying the mortgage

Customer Question

My exhusband died and i have been paying the mortgage myself. My name is ***** ***** the loan only on the deed. Should his adult children be contributing to the mortgage since they are his heirs. He did not have a will
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.

The loan is a debt of his estate. The security interest is his share of the property. If the property will be going to you, then there would be no reason why his children would be responsible for the loan. If his share is going to them, then they should contribute. The loan should be transferred into the name of the new owner(s) of the property or refinanced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My deceased ex husband share of the house did go to our 2 adult children. I was told that they should be paying a third of or some portion of the mortgage. I've been paying it all myself. One of our adult children is 22. Can I collect 4 years of mortgage payments from her and request that she start making a portion of the mortgage payment going forward now

You would pay half. They would pay half. You can collect and demand payment.