How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33550
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother pSsed away 12/24/15 and my brother and I are

Customer Question

My grandmother pSsed away 12/24/15 and my brother and I are beneficiaries in her will. My brother and I live In Florida and my grandmother used to until she became ill and her son took her to Mississippi to live with him. The will was written here in Florida and she died in Mississippi. My brother and I received a copy of the will and a "Ballot for situs of trust" that we are suppose to sign and send back so that the trust estate can be transferred to Mississippi. Could this effect our settlement? And should I ha e someone look it over just to be safe?
Thank You,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Nothing in your facts indicate anything that should affect your rights to inherit under the will. The only thing that could be an issue would be if the costs involved are somehow higher in MS than they are in FL.

However, with that being said, it is always better to let a local lawyer review the will and the other paperwork just to be sure that there is not something out of the ordinary about the documents. A will passes property the same no matter what state it is in but there is always the chance that something is happening that you need to be aware of and having someone local look it over should be inexpensive for the peace of mind it would bring.