How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37357
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am due to received $205,000 before 12/31/2015, as an

Customer Question

I am due to received $205,000 before 12/31/2015, as an inheritance from my grandfather. Is there anything I can do to not have to declare it as income for this year of 2015. It is coming from an escrow. Can I instruct the escrow company to transfer this money to a retirement account or a trust?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


An inheritance is not considered income by the IRS. It is a tax free gift from the deceased to the beneficiary. So there would be no income taxes due on the inheritance and there is no reporting requirement to the IRS on your taxes...