How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118255
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in a difficult custody battle with s

Customer Question

My son is in a difficult custody battle with his daughter's mother. He is leaving for the navy in late January. She has been stalling the mediation process so that it will be after he leaves. His attorney tells me that in order for me to be party to the case and take his custody when he leaves, I have to hire my own attorney file a motion to intervene. Every dime we have has gone to my son's attorney. I don't have any money to hire another one. How do I file this motion on my own? We are in Stokes county, North Carolina.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, NC does not make forms for this available online. In order to file your own motion to intervene, you would need to go to the court library and speak to the librarian about the form books and tell them you are looking for a motion to intervene in a custody case template. They will direct you to the right form book. You are going to have to draft the motion yourself and you are going to have to ask the court in that motion to allow you to intervene as grandparent and get visitation rights during your son's deployment. You would explain all of the good cause reasons, such as prior relationship with the child and continued family relations with the father's family. You sign the motion and have it notarized and file it with the clerk of court and send a copy to the two parties in the case.