Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My name is ***** ***** and the question is:
, After all

Customer Question
Customer: My name is *****...
Customer: My name is ***** ***** and the question is:
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: After all the other beneficiaries have been paid, can an executor of an estate refuse to pay and hold hostage the payment one of the beneficiaries claiming that that beneficiary owes money to the executor for an unrelated issue?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK... I'll go for $18
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
12/18/2015
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. My name is Richard.

No, that would not be acceptable and the executor would be in breach of his fiduciary duty. The estate assets are not the executor's personal piggy bank. The executor has a fiduciary duty to each beneficiary. The executor has no right to hold a beneficiary's money hostage. If the executor has a separate claim against a beneficiary, the executor needs to file suit, get a judgment, and then go after the beneficiary independently. But, the executor has no legal right to misappropriate estate money to pay a separate claim. That's a breach of fiduciary duty and will subject the executor to removal and actual and possibly punitive damages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney