Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I am a aresident of the State of New Jersey. I am single and

Customer Question
Dear Sir: I am a...
Dear Sir: I am a aresident of the State of New Jersey. I am single and made a will naming my only child, who is an adult, as my sole heir. However, I have been living with my boyfriend for 2 years in a co-op which we are own as "joint tenants" with no
rights to survivorship. We, therefore, own the shares down the line. My understanding is that if I do not marry him, my son will inherit my 50% shares in the co-op, along with whatever else I have. My questions are: 1) If I marry my boyfriend and I die first,
would my husband now have rights to part of my 50% in the co-op? 2) Would my husband have rights to part of my checking account, which had always been a joint account with my son? I am asking this question as while my boyfriend has a lot of money, he may still
want a share of what is mine once I am gone. Thank you so much for your time and attention.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
12/17/2015
Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

ANSWER:

1. Joint tenancy creates a right of survivorship which right provides that if any one of the joint tenants dies, the remainder of the property is transferred to the survivors. So, if there is no right of survivorship, then it appears that you own the property as tenants in common. Unlike joint tenancy, tenancy in common has no right of survivorship. Thus, your boyfriend will not be entitled to receive a share of the property upon your death; instead, the property goes to your son as the sole heir. Getting married does not automatically change that.

2. Joint checking accounts typically carry rights of survivorship. So, if one of the joint holders dies, there is nothing the surviving joint owner has to do to get that money. A joint account holder's rights to the funds in the account normally supersedes what's written in a will.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** your helpfull information. I should have used "tenants in common", rather than "joint tenants". Please let me deliberate over your information, after which I will decide on my next action.

Your welcome...

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney