Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My mother had a trust and I was the trustee. Her house was

Customer Question
My mother had a trust...
My mother had a trust and I was the trustee. Her house was in the trust but her mortgage was in her name. Since she died in 2003 I have continued to pay the mortgage but it is still in her name. I just received a check for over payment of insurance and taxes in her name and wonder if I can deposit this check as her trustee.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
12/16/2015
Estate Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Attorney replied 1 year ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You may be able to deposit the check. However, the proper way to address the issue would have been to let the bank know that your mother had passed away and addressed the issue of the property being in her name.

Now it is ultimately up to the bank whether they would accept your endorsement on the check as trustee.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney