Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My father died Thursday, 12/10/15 he was 88 and in fair

Customer Question

My father died Thursday, 12/10/15 he was 88 and in fair health. He slipped and broke his hip and received a total hip replacement at Inland Valley Hospital in Wildomar, CA which he was recovering from. My older brother had him transported to Manor Care for final care for death....I objected to having him sent there because he needed therapy, not final care for death. He was doing well but was being kept on MORPHINE.. After a 2 and 1/2 weesk and continued sleep meds at Manor Care, I was told he fell twice and dislocated his new hip. That particular morning I came in and saw him unattended and heavily drugged...I was advised he had fallen earlier that AM...but no one had called for an Xray of his now swollen hip area...not even my sister in law who had visited him that early AM...I demanded an immediate x-ray...five days earlier I was told by his doctor that his care plan had been changed because my dad was improving and eating better...all this time prior he had been starving for solid food.....he lost weight at both facilities. That day the x-ray showed the new hip dislocated. My dad was transported to Kaiser Moreno Valley where he was held in ICU then sent to med surge to die. My older brother and his wife work now for WEDBUSH as a Senior VP of Investments in Hemet, CA ...previously they worked for Wells Fargo....and has allowed everything to happen without 2nd opinions. I don't believe my brother has been looking at my Dads best interests and I am now afraid my mothers care will now be jeopardized. My mother is 86 and they both have been in Cherry Hills/Brookdale Sr. Living for a year now and very happy there. I have been in the medical field for over 17 years and previously in the real estate professions but now currently retired and handling my own rentals.... I have asked my brother for copies of my mothers Kaiser and Medicare cards so I can take her to a Neurologist because she has memory problems which are increasing. My brother has threatened me to not get involved anymore and refuses to provide the infor I need to be able to take my mom in for a thorough check up...he has gone as far as to tell me if I continue to ask for any info or copies of anything or accounting of how mom and dads money is being invested or anything, he will make sure I am declared deceased and not able to obtain or do anything for mom until after she is dead....and after that receive no info on my parents living trust or will. Currently my brother Mike has my parents home in Sun City, CA listed for sale which I believe is under priced...he has not discussed any family issues with me prior to making decisions nor kept me current on any expenditures, investments, interest, banking or bill paying. I don't feel this is right nor legal but most of all I am concerned on the welfare of my mother. There has to be a way to follow his paper trail for the last 5 years and how he has been handling the welfare of my parents. He is purposely avoiding me, not answering questions and leaving me in the dark with all issues....I believe he and his wife are trying to hide his actions which I don't believed have been honest nor fair to me nor my mother....what can I do....my dads funeral is at Riverside Cemetary on Jan 4th, at 11:00 AM... and he said my dad will be creamated - I don't believe my dad wanted to be creamated....then he said the music would be a CD played with Taps....my dad deserves a live bugle playing taps... HELP!!! Cheryl.... my e-mail is ***@******.*** Thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did your father have a will?