Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

When a father dies, but is remarried and has no will? What

Customer Question
When a father dies, but...
When a father dies, but is remarried and has no will ? What is the right of the children?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
12/16/2015
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If someone dies intestate (no will) in LA, but has a spouse and children, then they will all share in the estate to different degrees.

.

The spouse gets the right to use the deceased's share of any community property for life, called "usufruct".

.

The children inherit the deceased's share of the community property subject to the spouse's right to use it for life. The children also inherit all the separate property.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney