How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I file if my children were intentionally not

Customer Question

What can I file if my children were intentionally not submitted to probate and they are heirs. Grandchildren. And yet a child of my husbands who was adopted legally and my husbands parental rights to this child have been terminated, was included in the
petition for probate. My childrens father is Randall and my children are Arthur, Ava and Amira Whitmore. Fyi.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If there is a will in this case, it should control. If not the estate should pass through intestate succession (state law ).

For children to inherit from you under the laws of intestacy, the state of California must consider them your children, legally. For many families, this is not a confusing issue. But it’s not always clear. Here are some things to keep in mind.

Adopted children. Children you legally adopted will receive an intestate share, just as your biological children do.Foster children and stepchildren. Foster children and stepchildren you never legally adopted will not automatically receive a share. However, a foster child or stepchild can inherit if he or she can prove that: 1) your relationship with the child began while the child was a minor and continued throughout your lifetimes, and 2) you would have adopted the child if it had been legally possible.Children placed for adoption. Children you placed for adoption and who were legally adopted by another family will not receive a share. However, if your biological children were adopted by your spouse, that won’t affect their intestate inheritance.Posthumous children. Children conceived by you but not born before your death will receive a share. A child conceived with your genetic material within two years of your death will also receive a share if you left written permission for the material to be used. (Cal. Prob. Code § 249.5.)Children born outside of marriage. If you were not married or in a registered domestic partnership with your children’s mother when she gave birth to them, they may receive a share of your estate if they can prove that you acknowledged them as your children and contributed to their care and support.Children born during your marriage. Any child born to your wife or registered domestic partner during your marriage or partnership is assumed to be your child and will receive a share of your estate.Grandchildren. Your grandchildren will receive a share only if their parent (your child) has died before you do.

In case you want to read the law, Cal. Prob. Code §§ 6450–6455 covers parent-child relationships.

This can be a tricky area of the law, so if have questions about your relationship to your parent or child, get help from an experienced attorney.

If you feel that the will was not followed, you could contest the will. Grounds for will contests include such things as fraud, duress, undue influence and mistake.If you feel that appropriate heirs were left out in intestate succession, you should hire a probate attorney to defend the interests of the children.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Just following up, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I see you reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Any chance for a positive rating?