How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42865
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lost revocable living trust
, irs requesting the lost

Customer Question

Customer: lost revocable living trust
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: irs requesting the lost documents
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Here there is a tax issue and the IRS wants copies of trust here and it is lost, is that the case??Are there any assets in the trust and have you ever filed prior trust returns, what state is involved here,thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, CA
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Call the advocate and explain situation, see if there is alternative documentation IRS would accept.

(###) ###-####/p>

National Taxpayer Advocate’s Help Line

For taxpayers whose tax problems have not been resolved through normal channels. Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) provides an independent system to assure that tax problems are promptly and fairly handled. TAS operates independently of any other IRS office and reports directly to Congress through the National Taxpayer Advocate.

Here if the trust is lost you may also need a new trust here and then transfer any assets to it.This will not cure the IRS issues from the past but you need to do this for the future.

New Revocable Trust Form..

You would need to quit claim any real estate from old trust and trustee to new trust after you create it here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If the settlor is still alive it is also possible to do do an amendment and restatement of the original trust--you would have to have the information here about the prior trust.

This would resolve the IRS issues hopefully as well as give you a new document to work with..

If you can locate the necessary information this allows you to recreate lost trust, no transfers of assets from one to the other would be needed.This might be better for you if you can complete it and trustors are still alive.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have more follow up.Be happy to help you.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

I wish you a happy holidays as well.