How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42324
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Father who has dementia. He was in a nursing home the past 2

Customer Question

Hi, I am DPOA for my father who has dementia. He was in a nursing home the past 2 years, and due to change of ownership his quality of care went downhill this past year. I decided to move him to an Adult Family Home at the end of October. Since then, the HCS caseworker sent me the service agreement with his daily rate, which is considerable lower than what the home wants to charge him. Unfortunately I did sign the AFH's service agreement, which indicated a daily rate of $200. My dad cannot afford that. He can only afford a little over half of that. Although he is on Medicaid, I discovered that the state pays much less to AFH's than to nursing homes. So he has to pay out of pocket and will get no assistance from the state. Can they evict him? Can they come after me for the money? What are my options. Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

My sympathy here for the situation.As long as you did not sign any personal letter of guarantee all they can do is come after your father for the debt.

You have a couple of options and they all involve moving.You can move him back to nursing home, find a cheaper place here, or bring him home at least for awhile since you cannot afford the rate here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

AAAs were established under the Federal Older Americans Act in 1973 to help older adults (60 or older) remain in their home. AAAs are located throughout the United States and are available in every county within Washington State.

AAA's help older adults plan and find additional care, services, or programs. Help can range from getting services for a frail adult so he/she can remain at home to providing access to activities and socialization through programs like senior centers. They also provide support and services to the family or friends helping to care for older adults.

Aging and Adult Care of Central Washington


East Wenatchee 98802


Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Alt. Phone: 1-***-***-****

Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

The Family Caregiver Support Program is a service available to unpaid caregivers of adults needing care and living in Washington State. There are local Family Caregiver Support Program offices throughout the state staffed with caring and knowledgeable people who can help you:

  • Find local resources/services.
  • Find caregiver support groups and counseling.
  • Get training on specific caregiving topics.
  • Get respite care if you need a break.
  • Talk through specific issues you are having and offer practical information and caregiving suggestions.

Generally, these services are offered free or at low cost. Certain eligibility requirements may apply and availability varies from community to community.

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Respite if you have to bring him home.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Call the Office of the Ombudsman to help with alternative placement options, this will help long term to find somewhere you can afford..

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman is a trusted resource in mediating complaints or concerns you may have about anyone living in an adult care facility (e.g. adult family home, Assisted Living Facility, nursing home).

Erin Nelson

Aging & Adult Care of Central WA

Email address: *****@******.***

Phone:(###) ###-####x232

Alt. Phone: 1-***-***-****

Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

I hope some of these places can help you here with alternatives that you can afford and he will be happy at.Honestly he may have to go back to Nursing Home if that is all he can afford.I understand the problems here, no easy solutions.Try all of the resources above.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the chance to help today.

I wish you a happy holiday season.I will say a little prayer here for your dad and you too.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have more follow up, it is not a problem.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.