Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

What is the difference between tangible and intangible?

Customer Question

what is the difference between tangible and intangible?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  bfc77usa replied 1 year ago.

Hi, how long does your answer need to be and does it relate to a specific topic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It refers to a will. Is land consider tangible? Please explain tangible, personal property? Like if you are bequeath tangible, personal property what does that mean? Does it mean, includes real estate?
Expert:  bfc77usa replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Real estate is a tangible asset. Most things you would typically inherit would be a tangible asset. Intangible assets are things like brands, good will etc. Tangible assets are touchable. However the value is typically referred in the ownership of the property and not the actual land itself. The deed is the value.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It refers to a will. Is land consider tangible? Please explain tangible, personal property? Like if you are bequeath tangible, personal property. What does it mean? Does it include real estate?
Expert:  bfc77usa replied 1 year ago.

In reference to a will land would not be tangible personal property. It would be actual touchable tangible assets or in this case real estate. Real-estate would not be included in the broad definition of personal property especially as it relates to a will. Real-estate is typically bequeathed to the surviving spouse and can't be overwritten by a will as real estate is treated differently. Let me know if I can explain further. Thanks, Alex

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

New expert here, I'm guessing the old expert opted out and could not continue with the question. My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

I believe I helped you with your other question and I agree 100% with Alex. Tangible personal property in the context of a will does not include real estate or land. Like I said in my other answer, if you feel as if you have not gotten your proper spousal share from the estate, there are ways to make a forced spousal election and get a set share from the estate while giving up your named distributions from the will. This is a bit complicated so you need to contact a local wills and trusts attorney to review your case and ascertain your rights. You can search for a local attorney by specialty at martindale.com or lawyers.com and see reviews and select the right attorney for you if that is how you would like to proceed. In summary, no land would not be included in the language "tangible personal property".

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

I see you reviewed my answer. Did you have any further questions?