How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42314
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife's mother is suffering from Alzheimer's and is in a

Customer Question

My wife's mother is suffering from Alzheimer's and is in a rehab facility/assisted living.her husband, who is ill has ordered the facility to not allow my wife to sign her out on visits or provide information on her mother, but the other siblings not so.
Can he do that and are there any alternatives thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Your wife can make application for guardianship/conservatorship of your mother.Once she is appointed she makes financial and health decisions for the mother and has access to her and her doctors.This is the way to get around these problems with the husband here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Forms to make application here.

Your wife can make application or she might consider a local lawyer where her mother is located.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Adult Guardianship is a legal process where the Court determines that an

individual does not have the capacity or ability to make or communicate decisions

for themselves. The court then appoints a Guardian to make those decisions

for them here in court.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Each county has form packets here is another example..

She makes application here and pays filing fees, they post a notice and then there will be a hearing on her application with the judge.He will appoint here and she may have to post a bond here as she is sworn in as guardian of the person and her estate(financial decisions).