How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Esquire Your Own Question
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 16623
Experience:  Handled many probate matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Alex Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother recently passed away in Ohio, where she was a

Customer Question

My mother recently passed away in Ohio, where she was a resident. Her will is being probated here. I am her executrix. She owned property in Michigan. Under Ohio law, I know I have to file the will in Michigan, but, under Michigan law does she have to get the Michigan court's permission to sell the property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Generally, an ancillary probate case would have to be filed in Michigan, but if the deceased person was resident of Ohio at the time of death, then a main probate case / estate would be filed in Ohio and it would be up to Michigan court (which has jurisdiction) when it comes to the approval of sale property located in Michigan, since the Michigan court would have jurisdiction over the property.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.