How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116749
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister set up a trust before she passed away in May. The

Customer Question

My sister set up a trust before she passed away in May. The fund calls for matching my income when I am working. I have not worked since April and probably won't get a job due to my age. Is there a way to fight this and receive all the funds in one lump sum?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to say that when a trust is set up, the terms of the trust must be followed by the trustee to the letter. The trustee cannot deviate from the trust terms. If you are not able to work, then you would have to receive what they trust states you would receive if you are not working. You cannot receive funds lump sum unless the trust document says you can.
Now, if the trust makes no provisions at all to do anything with the money in the trust if you are not working and prove you cannot work and there are no alternate beneficiaries, then you can go to court and file a suit to terminate the trust based on the trust no longer being able to serve its purposes (impossibility) if you prove that you cannot work any longer.

Related Estate Law Questions