Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My dad passed away and there are 4 heirs, myself 2 sisters

Customer Question

my dad passed away and there are 4 heirs, myself 2 sisters and a nephew. property is 2 single family homes, 4 acres of agr. land all in Ca and 40 acres of agr. land in MS. and just a few thousand dollars cash. what do I as executor need to do. no trust, no will.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You will need to file a petition to open an intestate estate. Only you and your sisters (and a surviving spouse, if there is one) are entitled to inherit. The proper jurisdiction and venue is the county where he resided before he died.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You will very likely need the assistance of a probate attorney, as ancillary estates will also need to be opened in the states where the properties are located.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Since there is no will, you are not the executor. You will be asking the court to appoint you as personal representative of the estate. If there are no objections to the appointment the court should approve it as a matter of course.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You will need to post notice to creditors and resolve lawful claims. You can then distribute the assets and close the estate.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you so I can close the question. Thank you.