How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 20363
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp. with Estate Law issues
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My aunt has a gentleman that has been living with her time,

Customer Question

My aunt has a gentleman that has been living with her for some time, 6 years now. Would this gentleman have claim to my aunts assets if she were to die.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. He would have a right to half of anything they own jointly and her heirs would have the right to the value of the other half. Also, of course, if she had him listed as her beneficiary in her Will or on her other accounts, such as bank accounts or insurance polices, he would have a right to whatever was left to him. But, if she passes away without a Will or having him listed as a beneficiary on her other accounts, then he would not be entitled to anything that isn't his. Her heirs would be entitled to her assets she owns alone.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. If none, if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, just a follow up. The length of time he resides with her, would have no bearing on the assets? or change any of the above you just stated?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. No, the length of time they live together would not change the law as I described it. Tennessee doesn't recognize "common law" marriage, but even if they did, the couple would have to hold themselves out as married and buy property etc, as a married couple. But again, Tennessee is not a common law state.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

As always, just let me know if you need any more information. When I have answered your questions, please go to the top of the page and leave a positive rating of my assistance so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 23rd and 24th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I still have not received your rating. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.