Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My wife passed away and I need to know if I am obligated by

Customer Question

My wife passed away and I need to know if I am obligated by law to probate the will
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there are any assets in her name, including bank accounts, car titles, deeds, and also if there are any beneficiaries in the will other than yourself, then all estates need to be probated by law.
If there is no property in her name and no other heir besides you, then most people never probate the estate/will, despite what the laws say that they are supposed to do so. The only time this becomes an issue is if there is a car title, house deed or some type of account with her name on it and you would need probate to be able to do anything with those.