RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

If you sign realestate paperwork before the estate is

Customer Question

If you sign realestate paperwork before the estate is finalized. The contigency stated. "This offer is subject to sellers having settled the estate. Exectors to provide maketable title based on filing the correct estate documents prior to closing." Convenance/inclosing...release of dower 12/15/15. The realator had me sign paperwork ahead of time. Is this legal? What happens if the estate is not closed by 12/15/15?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Here the sales contract expires on 12/15/2015 so you would have to get a new addendum or refund the earnest money to the buyer if you cannot give them good title by this date.This clause indicates that there may be a delay here since an estate is involved but it has a closing deadline of 12/15 here.

If you are not going to make this then realtor needs to contact buyer and see if they will agree to extend it for 30 days or however long you need to complete probate.Otherwise you refund them their earnest money and look for a new buyer if they will not agree to an extension and you cannot close by the date int he existing contract here.

Many times buyer will agree to an extension because they want the house.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.If you have more follow up let me know, thanks.