How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42869
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom died, i have one brother, he is urging me to cremate

Customer Question

My mom died , i have one brother , he is urging me to cremate her, I distinctly remember she wanted to be buried with my father . My brother is telling me my mother had a will , My mom did not tell me she had a will ? I remember her saying split everything down the middle. My brother lives in another state and said he will not attend any services. He wants me to give him a certified copy of the death certificate for his records. This is to much , is he trying to hijack our inheritance so only he can benefit.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

You can choose to bury her if you want to.If your father is buried it makes sense to have her beside him.Usually he is asking for death certificate to claim bank account or life insurance or to file probate.Be suspicious here he may have some will he got parent to sign and you may need a local lawyer where she deceased to contest any will if you are excluded.

You have legitimate reasons to be concerned and to do what you feel right as far as funeral goes here since you are here in NY where she is.You know what she would have wanted and should act accordingly. But you should expect the worst here, brother may be up to no good.

You would have option here ot make application to probate and see if he produces up a will or not.You amy be appointed administrator here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Probate lawyer for you here.

I am so sorry for your loss of parents.I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.If you have more follow up let me know, thanks.