Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

My mother passed away she left me over her will she still

Customer Question

My mother passed away she left me over her will she still owes on house and has credit card deth do I just send all of them a death certificate ?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. Yes. It is a good idea to send them the death certificate because they may give a grace period for paying the mortgage and/or the credit card debt. Note that you are not personally liable for any credit card debt - only the estate of your Mother. In other words, only if there is money in her estate. Also, the credit card company would have to file a claim against the estate if it wanted to be paid if the personal representative does not pay it. For the mortgage, see if you can talk to someone when providing the death certificate. Usually, they would have to wait three months for any foreclosure proceeding, but you want to be aware of any deadlines.