RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

I just received a bill from a Trustee of a Family Real

Customer Question

I just received a bill from a Trustee of a Family Real Estate Trust. I had a lawyer represent me in his selection as did one of my other siblings. Two siblings, however, were not represented by counsel. All siblings assented to his appointment but I never saw an agreement that governed his services and costs. The siblings are all beneficiaries and my father was the grantor. The trustee was selected because we had disagreements among the siblings, although I could have easily performed the task as I am the DPOA and executor for my father who passed away.
1. Should there be an agreement between the Trustee and the Trust that outlines his fees and that he will bill at $XX and with a minimum of .10 minutes. He also refers to flat fees for certain services that I assume would need to have been agreed to in order to bill that way. Should I ask him for the contract?
2. He charged a lot of money (flat rate) to draft a restatement of the trust that nobody asked for and that nobody responded to when he sent the draft out. Is that proper do grant himself work and to charge a flat fee?
3. I found his bill to be outrageous. What typical ways are there to challenges Trustee charges?
3.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Let's go through these.

Yes it is reasonable for you to request a professional services contract to act as trustee of the .....trust that either has flat fees or an hourly rate or both.That is the professional way to do this.

It is reasonable for him to charge fees, but honestly he should provide you a written agreement with his charges here for the work to be done here in the future.

You would look first to the trust here to see if any fees were set out for trustee.Otherwise you can deny or reduce payment and he would have to sue and prove them up in a suit here.Normally you try to resolve it here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Reference..

There is no law in MA setting trustee fees . The fees are set in accordance with the terms of the trust or in the absence of a term in the trust, in accordance with the trustee contract which you should insist on. The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts set out some factors to be considered, including the size of the estate, time spent working on the estate, and the skill and ability of the fiduciary. See: McMahon v. Krapf, 323 Mass. 118 (1948). Also, in Corcoran v. Thomas, 6 Mass. App. Ct. 1990 (1978), an appellate court held that “[t]he only rule of law is that the fiduciary is to receive just and reasonable compensation for all services performed in his trust.”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He batched 6 months worth of bills in his invoice which I just received. As I told you, I don't know if he had a contract. How should I proceed given 98% of his charges are for time he already spent. Also, I am not paying him, he is simply paying himself from the trust funds.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

You should make a written request for a copy of the contract.If there is no contract then ask that he sign one.And then ask for monthly bills.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

This gives you a better chance to monitor and object to future bills at least.

Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.