How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9912
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a real estate property is put into a life estate with one

Customer Question

If a real estate property is put into a life estate with one child receiving the remainder interest and the surviving parent with the life estate goes on Medicaid in the nursing home, is the property protected?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A few minutes please as I'm looking into this.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience; the deed granting the remainder interest is still subject to the 5 year look back period- so if the transfer occurred within 5 years of the original owner being admitted to a nursing home, that will affect their medicaid eligibility.

Another exemption is allowed for adult caregiver children currently residing in the house.

Please see:

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any questions on the above?

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.


Related Estate Law Questions