How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in conservator proceedings of a demented mother. I have

Customer Question

I am in conservator proceedings of a demented mother. I have POA but my attorney is only doing conservator of the person not the estate. My mother does not own a home only the furniture in one and I have applied for representative payee for her social security check to pay the nursing home in which she resides. The state of California medical share of cost takes all but 30 dollars of her social security check for nursing home care. If the POA is void upon granting of conservator how will I dispose of her furniture so the owner can have his property back? My brother owns the property. It has been vacant for almost a year since our mom had her stroke. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You won't need to worry about the furniture. Even though you are only the conservator of her person, you would still have the implied authority to dispose of the furniture. Fortunately, furniture requires no documentation to transfer ownership. It's not like a car or real property that requires specific documentation and authority to transfer ownership. Personal property, such as furniture, can be transferred simply by giving it or selling to someone else. So, you can simply dispose of it in the manner you choose with no adverse consequences and no requirement that you prove your authority.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Estate Law Questions