How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34525
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently applying 's benefits from the VA on behalf of

Customer Question

I am currently applying for widow's benefits from the VA on behalf of my mother. I am her only child and living relative and have her power of attorney. The VA does not recognize power of attorney and will not proceed until I sent a copy of court papers giving me legal authority as my mother's representative or guardian or custodian, fiduciary, etc. How do I proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am a veteran service officer and have plenty of experience in filing veterans administration claims.

You are correct, the veterans administration will not recognize a power of attorney. There is no law that would require the Veterans Administration to accept a power of attorney. And because there is no law requiring that the veterans administration recognize the power of attorney, they are free to ignore it.

How to best proceed? You want to have your county court appoint you as legal guardian for your mother. Have a local attorney prepare and present this request to the court on your behalf.

If your mother is not capable of making decisions on her own behalf the court will appoint you as her guardian.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.