P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

How must a couple be married in the state of Louisiana, wife

Customer Question

How long must a couple be married in the state of Louisiana, for the wife to collect the deceased husband's benefits?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Sorry...can you give some more context. What benefits are you referring to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
social security benefits, earned from jobs prior to the marriage.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

For a Social Security survivor's benefit, a widow or widower must have been married to the deceased worker at the time of his or her death and for at least nine months immediately prior to the day in which the worker died

So if you were married at least 9 months? You qualify.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.