How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about estate law. I am the executor

Customer Question

I have a question about Virginia estate law. I am the executor for my mothers estate and it has turned into a big mess.
I initially set up estate bank account for her money (not much) and hired Virginia lawyer who hasn't done squat to help us. At this point I think I can settle her credit card debt myself for pennies on the dollar and satisfy the creditors.
My question is can I just settle as much as I can on my own if I have already started the probate process? Can I close the estate without having to file the accounting portion (fiduciary) paperwork? I have filed the inventory so that is in and approved. The accounting portion is a mess and they are questioning the expenses I submitted.
I have a TON of work into this already-- HOURS in fact. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can settle for reduced amount. You can and should file an accounting. You can replace current lawyer or proceed without one saving the estate the legal fees. You will need to clean up the accounting and you may want an accountant to help with that. You also may seek to be reimbursed for the time you spent on the estate.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that is clear, and if I can clarify anything. Glad to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still unclear on several issues. Can we set up at time to talk please?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

dont have phone connection with the site. ask me what I can clarify and will gladly answer.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

let me know, thanks

Related Estate Law Questions