How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father in law past away in IOWA. My wife and her sister

Customer Question

my father in law past away in IOWA. My wife and her sister are coeexecutors. I live in Texas. My sister in law wants to have sole signature authority on checks to pay claims? Is this wise? Can you give my five "prudent things" to avoid. There is a large
estate with real estate with secured liens. I want all the bills to go to a CPA to develop a pln for repayment, They do not want this..what do you advise as my sister in law has a history of being a poor money manager.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is best not to allow one person sole signature authority, especially with a large estate. Make sure to get periodic reports and an accounting of estate assets.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

resistance to cpa is not a good sign, as there should be organized transparency

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Normally, the rep has an estate lawyer and accountant who carry most of the work and ensure the estate is properly handled and beneficiaries informed.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Is that helpful, and can I clarify anything?