How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41565
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I need to do to become the Executor of my father's

Customer Question

What do I need to do to become the Executor of my father's estate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You will need a local lawyer to make application for probate , if there is a will then it is an independent administration, if no will then it is dependent court supervised probate.Once you receive your letters testamentary or of administration then you can proceed to gather assets, pay claims, distribute the remaining assets to yourself if you are the sole heir.You file here in the county probate court where he deceased.

Expect probate to take 6 months to a year to complete from start to finish.You would need an EIN number from IRS this takes place of social security number and is used on estate accounts, any sales of real estate, tax return ,etc.

You will need an estate checking account here using the EIN number to pay bills and your fee for being executor/administrator.

EIN number here, be wary of fake sites this is the real one.

Probate lawyer here ..

Free forms if you want to try this yourself, you have to modify the county.

I am sorry for the loss of your loved one.I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again.

Related Estate Law Questions