Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I'm half heir of decedent with will in Maine. Im in WV. The…

Customer Question
I'm half heir of decedent...
I'm half heir of decedent with will in Maine. Im in WV. The will has been probated and estate closed. The personal rep will not send me accounting of estate which I've requested numerous times before during probate and now that estate is closed, he'll give me no information about anything. No numbers, no approximate date of disbursement of funds that belong to me. Neither will the attorney. Am I not entitled to this information? And for what reason would I receive no information concerning my inheritance?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
10/9/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Here you do two things, you write the probate judge about the situation and ask the court to reopen the estate and set an hearing on the matter.This allows you to attend in person and set out your concerns and seek court ordered disbursal and related accounting of funds..

You also file a complain with the state on the lawyer here.This is totally unprofessional of the lawyer not to communicate with you and to disburse your funds.Lawyer can be reprimanded, suspended, license revoked , here for such violations.

Complain here.

http://www.mebaroverseers.org/complaint/complaint_process.html

You can locate the probate court and judge here.

https://www.maineprobate.net/

Sample letter.

Honorable ***** *****

Court and address

Re: Estate of Bill Jones

Dear Judge Smith,

I am writing you concerning the above referenced estate.This estate was closed over ...months ago and no disbursement of funds has been done.I have repeatedly tried to contact the lawyer involved, Mr Robertson.

Mr . Robertson has repeatedly failed to respond or disburse the funds and remains unavailable.I have this date also file a lawyer grievance concerning these issues.I am asking that you reopen probate here and set ahearing on this matter of lack of disbursement so that I may testify and express my concerns to the court and seek resolution through court ordered disbursement.

I appreciate your kind attention to this matter.

Sincerely yours.

Your name

Something like this to bring to the court's attention.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.