Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

How do i change trustee on will without a lawyer

Customer Question
how do i change trustee on will without a lawyer
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
9/24/2015
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You do not need to re-do your entire will or trust. Rather, in the case of your will, you can make this change by doing a Codicil...which is a fancy legal term for an amendment when a will is involved. In the Codicil, you can reference your original will, state that other than the changes in the Codicil all terms and provisions of the original will remain in full force and effect, and then specify which provisions of the original will are being changed. You will want to have the Codicil signed, witnessed, and notarized in the same format as the original will. Then, make sure you keep the Codicil with the original will so whoever gets your will at your death will know the Codicil exists. You can do this yourself or you can seek the guidance of a lawyer, but you are not obligated to engage a lawyer to do this for you.

In the case of the trust, you would make this change by doing an Amendment. In the Amendment, you would reference your original trust agreement, state that other than the changes in the Amendment all terms and provisions of the original trust remain in full force and effect, and then specify which provisions of the original trust are being changed. You trust want to have the Amendment signed, witnessed, and notarized in the same format as the original trust. Then, make sure you keep the Amendment with the original trust so whoever gets your trust at your death will know the Amendment exists.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney