Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

If no childern were in family who gets inherance?

Customer Question
if no childern were in family who gets inherance?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
9/21/2015
Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Assuming there was no will and no surviving spouse, the property would go to the parents of the deceased, and then "down" the lineal line of descent from the parents. So if no kids, spouse, or surviving parents, it would go to the siblings of the deceased individual.

Each parent or sibling is given one share of the decedent’s estate.

If any of the siblings predecease the decedent, that sibling’s share passes to his or her descendants.
Grandparents, Uncles, and Aunts. If the decedent has no spouse, child, parents, siblings, or descendants of siblings, his estate passes to his grandparents, uncles, and aunts in equal shares. Unlike the previous categories, the share of a deceased aunt or uncle does not pass to his or her descendants.

In the rare event that there are no individuals in any of the previous categories, the decedent’s assets are distributed in accordance with degrees of kinship as established by civil law. This rather convoluted process involves going up the family tree to a common ancestor, then back down the tree to the descendants of that ancestor, counting degrees for each step in the ascending and descending family line.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Was there anything else? Again, If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney