How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I change the title on my home to a Corp or Trust.The

Customer Question

How do I change the title on my home to a Corp or Trust.The home is in my name only and not my wife.I would like it to be in my name only.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

I'm a little confused by your question. At one point you are asking about transferring the "title" to a Corp or Trust and in another section you mention you want it "in (your) name only". Which of those two are you trying to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


I was advised by another attorney on Just Answer to put my property in a Corp or Trust because a creditor probably will put a lien on my home because of credit card debt.I was recently married and hoe is in my name only.I would like it to stay in my name only .I hope this clear things up.

Thank again

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You transfer title to real property homes (as opposed to mobile homes) by using a deed of some type. You want to be sure and have a lawyer do the deed itself because they are relatively inexpensive and if there are any mistakes on it then it can cost a huge amount of money to correct.

If the house is currently in your name only then the lawyer will likely draft the deed from you to the corporation or the trust and have you sign the deed transferring the property to the other entity. The lawyer may also want your wife to do a Quitclaim Deed just to be sure the record is clear even though she really doesn't own any interest right now.

If you haven't had the trust drawn up yet then the lawyer who is doing the trust papers can do the deed as well and move the home into the trust at the same time the trust is created.