How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117362
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My maternal aunt died w/o a will. I was her POA. I learned

Customer Question

My maternal aunt died w/o a will. I was her POA. I learned via the newspaper she had unclaimed funds. I need a death cert w/a seal. The copy I have does not qualify. I've been told by both the county and state of NJ, I have to get a court order in order to get the certificate. However, I have no way of proving I am her niece, nor do any of her surviving nieces and nephews. Is getting a court order possible under these circumstances?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, you would have to open probate in the NJ Surrogate court and your relationship to her would have to be proven by you getting your birth certificate and your mother's birth certificate to prove the relationship between them and then you have to prove there are no surviving children/grandchildren, parents, other siblings to show that you as nieces and nephews are the only surviving heirs and they will all be able to share in the funds you recover.

Related Estate Law Questions