How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7346
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother and father both both died been living with them 20

Customer Question

my mother and father both both died been living with them 20 years in their home mom died 3 days defore putting the house in my name morgage is 91,00 thousand the lawyer had the pappers ready my brother was in agreement with my mother and father decision can I still asume the same morgage loan aand the bills.nd how long do I have before putting the house in my name still living hear my mother told me to keep paying the morgage
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

If the home was in your mother's name when she died, leaving you and your brother as her heirs, the home can be put in your name with your brother's cooperation. It should be done as soon as possible. The lawyer who prepared the papers for your mother to sign should know how to get that done. While the legal work is being done, you must continue to make the mortgage payments. After the property is in your name, the mortgage loan account can also be put in your name without you assuming any personal liability.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.