RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

I am disabled on ssdi and receive veterans disability

Customer Question

I am disabled on ssdi and receive veterans disability benefits. Between the two I get most of my coverage needs for medical but I am unable to get dental or vision among other things. I understand in am approximately $300 per month over the income limit to qualify. I do not have ample cash to set aside for these expenses each month because my dental needs are extremely complicated cost wise because of my dental conditions/prosthetics. Is there a type of trust that can both help me to qualify for these benefits or reduce my countable income so that i can qualify for these benefits or programs to help me?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

A Qualified Income Trust called a QIT would be your solutions.The Qualified Income Trust is an instrument that is used for applicants that have income over the eligibility limits. It involves a legal document and a Qualified Income Trust bank account.

It is made up of the applicant’s own income (Social Security, pension, etc.). Funds that are deposited into the Trust account each month are not counted as income in determining eligibility for Medicaid. By depositing the income in excess of the state cap ($2,199 for 2015) that income becomes not countable and eligibility may be established. The QIT account must be funded on a monthly basis in order to achieve Medicaid eligibility monthly.

You will need a NAELA lawyer here to prepare this.The National Academy of Elder Lawyers specialize in such trusts and making you eligible here for all programs.This is something that can be done for you here.Once the trust is created the income goes into it and exempted as a resource.It can then be used to pay for your personal needs here.

You can locate a NAELA lawyer here..

https://www.naela.org/Public/About/Consumers/Find_An_Attorney/Public/About_NAELA/Public_or_Consumer/Find_an_Elder_Lawyer/Find_an_Elder_Lawyer.aspx?hkey=01d28480-72a3-4294-8d32-554931fc26b4

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Reference..

http://dpaweb.hss.state.ak.us/manuals/adltc/526/526_qualifying_income_trusts.htm

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again..