P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

My father said that he signed over the ownership of s house

Customer Question

My father said that he signed over the ownership of his house and land to my sister and I. I have a copy of that transaction, Now that he has passed I see on the records of deeds that his name and my sister's name is ***** ***** deed,does this mean that she now owns the house and property?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for your loss. Can you tell me, how does the deed read?

Does it read "tenants in common" or "joint tenants with right of survivorship"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a meeting with his lawyer to set up a survivorship for my sister. This was done over one year ago and as of yet the lawyer has not and say's that he can not find the paper work he said I would get. Now that dad has passed my sister has been in charge of the house and his accounts which have her name on them. I was told by the lawyer that she has to prove to me that the taxes and insurance are paid.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...but that does not answer the question...do you know how the title is stated? Is your sister and your father listed as joint tenants with survivor rights? Or are they listed as joint tenants?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This house was suppose to be in trust with both of us. I was told that Dad could not break the trust unless I was willing to sign off on this and as far as I know I never signed this paper work.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks
I tried to accept the phone request but it states that payment failed...not sure why that is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The paper I got on line only has L.Gordon & Judith M. Delp on the property owner information
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Looks like there is an issue. YOu can contact customer service at
.***-***-****
and they can fix it

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Follow up...if you contact customer service they can help resolve the issue with the phone call

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still on line or do I wait half an hour for the payment issue?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I have to step away for approx half hour, will check in then...I am here the remainder of the evening