Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I am on Medicaid QMB, Food Stamps, and Medicare in Texas. I

Customer Question
I am on Medicaid QMB...
I am on Medicaid QMB, Food Stamps, and Medicare in Texas. I am a 62 year old disabled (PTSD) female and I am going to receive an Inheritance (over $100,000.) I saw the MAGI Laws and was excited that the inheritance was not counted in the gross income. Then I saw that the MAGI Law does not apply to disabled or elderly. Am I correct and what should I do to protect my inheritance? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
9/9/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You will need a Master Pooled Trust Account.This is a preapproved trust, you have a sub account like a savings account.The funds here must be paid directly to the trust once opened.As such they are exempted as a resource and can be used for your personal needs.

The MPT for Texas here is the ARC of Texas.Please give them a call, this can be opened and funds have to be paid directly to it, you canot touch the funds directly or medicaid and other programs would count them.

The ARC of Texas will be happy to talk to you about their service.This is the most cost effective way to shelter funds, they have lower fees and no lawyer is necessary unlike other Special Needs Trusts.This is the most cost effective way to shelter inheritance.

Their web page, they are run out of Austin , Texas..

http://www.thearcoftexas.org/trust/index.php

Here is a power point about the ARC of Texas from a meeting I attended.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

I know this can all be kind of overwhelming, if you have more follow up please just ask.Thanks again.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are through it is always sincerely appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney