How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41046
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is 96 years old and alert and oriented. We have

Customer Question

My mother is 96 years old and alert and oriented. We have taken care of all her assets except her house, which is paid for. To avoid probate is it best to put my name on the deed or set up a revocable living trust just for the house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We already have a will etc.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

The best thing to do here would be to do a lady bird deed.This gives her a life estate and you are the remaindermen.This avoids medicaid problems and probate here if she needs nursing home care.

Here are free forms to do this, you sing in front of a notary and file it in t he county deed records.When your mother deceases you just file a copy of the death certificate in the deed records to affect the transfer.

It also keeps the taxes down because she is the life estate owner while she is alive.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always sincerely appreciated.

Related Estate Law Questions