Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My deceased brother was executor of a will/trust friends son

Customer Question

My deceased brother was executor of a will/trust for his friends son
I am the executor/heir of my brothers estate.
Now brothers friends son wants me to give accounting of his fathers estate which I know nothing about.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Just because your brother was the executor/trustee of another person's trust/estate it does not follow that you are responsible for the information other than turning over any documents that you come across that pertains to that estate. You are not liable for any accounting, once your brother died it was up to that estate/trust he was over to replace the executor/trustee. Your only duty as executor of your brother's estate is to turn over all of the records you have on that trust/estate over to the new trustee of the estate and any accounting is their problem. So you need to tell the son to have their new trustee contact you and you will provide them all of the records so they can give him an accounting.