How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41520
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently tracked down a lost relative I had been trying to

Customer Question

I recently tracked down a long lost relative I had been trying to locate for over 20 years to inform her she was the beneficiary to an annuity from 1994 that at the time was valued at 51,000 dollars. the annuity has earned over 51,000 interest over the last 20 yeas and now has a surrender value of 110,000. when I finally located her and told her this information she was extremely excited (as expected) and verbally told me that she felt it was fair to split the money. Now she has filed a claim and is not returning my calls. What can I do? I feel that she should split the money with me for several reasons... 1: she never would have known about this inheritance if it was not for my continued efforts in locating her, and 2: half of the value is interest which she did not originally inherit to begin with. thank you for your advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and bwelcome to JA.I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Nevada recognizes an oral contract here.If there was a verbal agreement to pay then you may file a civil suit seeking judgment for breach of contract.You would seek lawyer fees and court costs.Lawyer would try to resolve it with a demand letter and file suit if not resolved.You certainly may decide to pursue the funds under breach of oral contract.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

You may be able to get a lawyer to take this contingent fee, which means you do not pay unless there is a recovery.