Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Although my mother wanted me to be her trustee, I was forced…

Customer Question
Although my mother wanted me...
Although my mother wanted me to be her trustee, I was forced to appoint a 3rd party trustee due to my sister's resistance. I spent a considerable amount of time managing my mom's estate under a Living Trust (never filed with the courts, but notarized) and now have spent hours searching for, scanning to disc over 200 family photos. Can I charge my mother's estate for doing these duties, and if so, how much is reasonable? I'm usually employed full time, but have been doing this following a hip replacement.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
9/2/2015
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

From a purely legal perspective, if the trustee of the trust or executor of her estate asked you to perform these duties, then you would be entitled to compensation from the trust or estate. But if you essentially volunteered to do this without any direction from the trustee or executor, then it would be up to them whether to essentially "purchase" this work product from you.

.

As for what is reasonable, that would have to be determined by the trustee and you regarding what it is worth for your hourly time in compiling this information and organizing it. But general administrative duties like this would tend to run in the $20-25 per hour if you paid someone to do it professionally.

.

However, I would opine that you could charge whoever wanted a copy of your work product whatever you felt was reasonable..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney