How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117367
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend has a family problem. Her Mother from Chile

Customer Question

My girlfriend has a family problem. Her Mother from Chile with her son also from Chile flew to see relatives and was going to come to San Francisco to visit her daughter and make her a gift to buy a house. The trip to SF was cancelled because of the brothers although she had accommodations for her. Her mother whom she talked regularly with in Chile now is prevented from talking or seeing her. She is the conservator of her father who has Alzheimer. She is concerned her Mother is being unfairly manipulated by her brothers. Howshould she proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This is going to be difficult to do anything here, because if there is nobody who is conservator or guardian over her mother, then it is up to her mother to contact her and if the mother will not talk to her, there is nothing legal she can do.

If she can prove that somehow the mother is now becoming mentally incompetent, then your girlfriend will have to go and try to get guardianship or conservatorship over her too. But absent mental incompetence, there is nothing your girlfriend can do if the mother is not communicating with her.