How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother died in AZ without a will. She owned a

Customer Question

My mother died in AZ without a will. She owned a manufactured home that is worthless and needs to be demolished. She has some stock work about $3.000. I am her only heir. I paid for her cremation and that cost $2100. Can I walk away?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My condolences to you on your loss.

Yes, you can simply walk away. You, as a beneficiary, DO NOT have to accept the funds from the estate OR the debts. Therefore, so long as you pay for the cremation, you are free to walk away without obligation. Her debts are not yours, and you do not have to deal with any of it unless it is somehow in your name. If not, it is no longer your responsibility.


Dimitry, Esq.