Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I am an attorney in Texas but do not have access to the

Customer Question
intestate laws of 1979....
I am an attorney in Texas but do not have access to the intestate laws of 1979. How is succession different in 1979 vs 2015? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
8/26/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

The best I can do here is a summary of the 1979 changes.See page 15 here.This has the entire history of Texas Probate law going from the beginning to the present day Texas Estate Codes.See if this does not give you the information you asked about here.

http://www.harriscountytx.gov/CmpDocuments/48/Forms/PargamanTheStoryoftheTexasEstatesCode2013.pdf

Specifically it references the Section 59A changes to contractual wills.I am old enough to have lost a case under the old law where you had to prove up a contractual will as opposed to the requirement change that it has to appear in the will.it is virtually impossible to prove up such a will under the old law because the witnesses are all deceased.

At any rate this was a major change, it clarified it and really did away with disputes about contractual wills.The other changes year by year are laid out for your reference.This is a great summary of the law and changes in any particular year.

This is about the best you are going to do here without a search through many volumes . They list the changes year by year.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

If you can leave a positive rating it is sincerely appreciated.
Thanks again.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney